Friday, August 12, 2011

We Are Teachers

I am a shadow. I am a reflection. I am a memory. I am a light. I am all of these things because I am a teacher.


I lie awake at night wondering if my lessons are good enough. I wake up the next morning and do a re-write when a new idea pops into my head.


I work 12-14 hour days and weekends and holidays. All without pay. I work during the summer, also without pay. Teaching does not end when the bell rings at the end of the day. It ends when papers are graded, lesson plans are finished, emails are answered or sent after phone calls are made. 


I don't teach for the pay. I teach because I want to make a difference in your life. I care about your well-being and I am there if you need to talk. Teaching used to be a noble profession, but now we are scorned. Blamed. Yelled at.


We have a great health plan because, Lord knows we need it. It's a stressful job, and stress causes illnesses. But we do it for you


You matter! YOU MATTER!


No matter what happens in September, just remember that teachers were left out of every discussion. 


We tried and were ignored. Remember, we very rarely have creative control over what we do in our classrooms. It is all controlled by THE TEST. 


But that doesn't mean we care. WE DO! WE CARE! We fight every day to give you the best education possible. 


Stand by us. But even if you don't, we will stand by you. We are teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment