Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Dirty Words: Academic Tracking and Gender Separation

Academic Tracking? Dare I bring this topic to the forefront? Dare I go against the grain?

Yes!

When I was in High School (Dear ole Northeast Catholic High School), we were tracked by ability level.  For me, I felt this was the best way for me to learn.  I needed to be challenged, and so, first track/AP was the best option for me.

I knew many students who were in second and third tracks, who were excelling because they were getting the attention they needed.

In my almost decade of teaching, I see the high ability students struggling.  They're not struggling with grasping the material, but they are struggling with staying on task. They're bored.

The "average" students are also struggling, but not as much as the high ability or high needs students.  Most of the curriculum is geared towards the middle, so that we can reach the greatest number of students.

Some of the high needs students are not thriving because their math or reading levels are too low.  These students should be placed in small focus groups (no more than 10 students in a class) with one Special Education teacher and at least one Special Education Aide.  Once these students are brought to grade level, then we can retest them and place them in the correct track.

Finally, we have ELL students. In my school, they are doing well, but from what I hear from others, they are struggling. ELL students need their own track and once they are ready to move on, then they can be placed in the correct track.

I would also argue for the separation of the male students and female students. Again, my High School was an all-boys school.  We thrived without distractions, and did the girls at our sister school, Little Flower.

Many of the young men that I have taught, are more worried about flirting and hanging out with young ladies than on their academics.  I see the same in reverse.  Young ladies are also distracted by the young men in the schools.

Sure, some young men and ladies can do will in co-ed settings, but the trend I am seeing and from the research being done now, shows that "Gender Segregation" is more advantageous than the co-ed setting.

I will leave this open for discussion. What are your opinions on these two topics?

Please, share this on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment